Media in Africa have reported that Mozambique soldiers were able to defeat an Islamic insurgent attack which was targeting Total’s $30 billion LNG plant in the east African country – the second attack launched during the month of December.
According to reports, the battle came within 21km of the project in the Cabo Delgado province and is the continuation of a conflict that is believed to have killed 2,500 people and left 570,000 homeless.
Largest investment in Africa
The Total LNG plant is the largest current investment anywhere in Africa and has already secured contracts to supply TokyoGas and Centrica, Shell, CNOOC and Power Singapore Trading & Marketing and Bharat Petroleum. The Mozambique Rovuma Venture is jointly owned by CNPC (28.6%), Eni (35.7%) and ExxonMobil (35.7%) – has a 70 per cent stake in operations. The remaining 30 per cent is evenly divided between Galp, Kogas and ENH.
During November the insurgents attacked the village of Maganja, which is close to the Afungi complete project site. Unconfirmed reports have said another attack on the Nacala port in late November was targeting expatriates working on the project.
Once completed, the Afungi complex will have two 180,000m3 LNG storage tanks, condensate storage facilities and a multi-berth marine jetty. FID for Areas1 and 4 have been delayed by oversupply in the market.