The Petroleum Exploration Society of Australia (PESA) is a national organisation representing the interests of all professionals and practitioners in the upstream petroleum industry. Details of the Federal and Branch Committee members are located on the Committees Page.
The purpose and objectives of the Society are as follows:-
- to promote professional and technical excellence in the upstream petroleum industry throughout Australia. This is fostered by providing forums to communicate technical innovations and lessons learnt to individuals on a national basis;
- to present views and facilitate discussion of technical and professional matters pertinent to the upstream petroleum industry;
- to foster and provide continuing education for the benefit of PESA members and students progressing towards a career choice;
- to nurture the spirit of research on matters pertinent to PESA members and their upstream petroleum industry colleagues; and
- to maintain a high standard of professional conduct on the part of its members.
The emphasis of the Society is primarily geoscientific although most aspects of the upstream industry are catered for.
The Society is governed by a Federal Executive with local Branches in Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria/Tasmania, the ACT, South Australia and Western Australia responsible for much of the organisation of technical and social events.
PESA’s main activities are:
- Publication of the PESA News (a bi-monthly newsletter)
- Convening the most focused technical symposiums and conferences for petroleum E&P in Australia.
- Proceedings of PESA Basin Symposiums represent essential references for petroleum exploration and development in Australia.
Key upcoming events are:
- Continuing education courses – to deliver cost-effective, world-class training to PESA members in all branches. A number are held every year on a wide range of geoscientific topics.
- Branch monthly luncheons and less frequent evening seminars with notable and topical speakers. These are commonly run in collaboration with key universities and cognate professional societies (such as SPE, SEG and AAPG).
- Annual report on significant activities and breakthroughs in Australian exploration which is presented at each APPEA Conference (PESA Industry Review) and published both by PESA and APPEA.
- Major annual farmout seminar covering acreage in Australasia/NZ at which companies can advertise, promote and gather information on farmouts.
- Local social functions for members and their guests including participation sports events and annual galas.
Support for the Future of Petroleum Exploration
Education: PESA provides both scholarships and financial awards for deserving university geoscience students.
PESA is the regional affiliate of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists (AAPG) – the peak international profession association for petroleum geoscience.
PESA frequently collaborates with AAPG, APPEA, SPE, ASEG, universities and high school science teachers associations to deliver education to its members and future members.