The Petroleum Exploration Society of Australia is offering a postgraduate scholarship to eligible students currently researching in a petroleum exploration related discipline. The aim of the program is to promote and encourage petroleum-related research and education in Australia. This format of sponsorship is designed to provide continual engagement of the recipient with PESA over the period of their research. The student is assured of continual annual funding over the period and also gains important funding to support their exposure at a (potentially) international conference.
These awards are open to:
Postgraduate research students enrolled in a PhD or Master by Research two year program. It cannot be renewed or extended but may be held in conjunction with other scholarships or grants.
The PESA Postgraduate Scholarship is open to students who, at the application deadline are:
- Enrolled in a PhD (full or part time) or Master by Research two year program and conducting research in an Australian petroleum exploration geoscience related project at a recognised Australian tertiary institution.
- A current member of PESA.
- Australian citizen and/or permanent resident.
†This includes, geophysics, geology and/or a geoscience major.
Postgraduate students are eligible for student membership and can sign up through the PESA website (www.pesa.com.au).
When to Apply
Students wishing to be considered for the PESA Scholarship for the current year need to be approved financial members at the time awards are considered.
Applications will be assessed by a sub-committee of PESA’s board and the winning candidate ratified by the federal board. Successful applicants will be notified by post and email. The scholarship will be presented at a technical luncheon of the winning applicant’s respective state branch.
Conditions of the scholarship
A requirement of the award will be for the recipient to provide an annual short article for PESA News on his/her research activities. Failure to do so may result in the cessation of the scholarship if no correspondence of acceptable explanation is provided.
- Upon completion of the term of the scholarship the recipient will also be required to present to a branch technical event.
- PESA will also sponsor the successful recipients attendance to one conference of the students choosing in order to present their research, at which PESA’s support is to be acknowledged (registration cost and up to $2000 for airfare will be reimbursed).
- Proof of enrolment is to be provided annually for the duration of the scholarship. Failure to do so will result in the cessation of the scholarship with no reinstatement allowed.
This scholarship offers a maximum of $5000 per year ($2500 for part time candidates) up to period of no more than 3 years for PhD candidates or no more than 2 years for Masters candidates, as long as the student remains enrolled over that period.
How To Apply
Applicants must include the following in their application:
- A completed Application Form;
- A certified copy of their Tertiary Academic Record;
- A cover letter outlining how their project relates to petroleum exploration in Australia (maximum 1 page).
- A project summary/proposal
Completed application forms and accompanying documentation should be emailed to:
PESA Education Sub-Committee
It is important that the application is completed in full as incomplete applications may affect your chance of selection. Closing date October 20, 2017.