- This event has passed.
PESA SA/NT One-day Training Course, Thursday 29th August – The Elements of Chemostratigraphy
Thursday, 29 August, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pmFree
PESA SA/NT One-day Training Course
The Elements of Chemostratigraphy
When: Thursday 29th August, Ayers House
Presenters: Anne Forbes (Chemostrat), Stuart Munday (Chemostrat) & Carey Hannaford (MGPalaeo)
This course aims to help you understand the principles of chemostratigraphy and how to use elemental geochemistry data in the analysis of sedimentary systems. Australian case studies will reinforce the concepts discussed and demonstrate some practical applications, as well as highlighting the benefits and limitations of chemostratigraphic techniques. The monthly Technical Talk during lunch will focus on the successful integration of chemostratigraphy and biostratigraphy to decipher an enigmatic interval within the Cooper-Eromanga Basin.
Topics covered will include:
· What is chemostratigraphy – essential concepts and how it can help?
· Data sources, sampling considerations and analysis types; how they work and their pros & cons.
· Elemental data in the context of mineralogy
· An overview of chemostratigraphy techniques and their uses in the exploration for conventional & unconventional resources
· Other considerations – geomechanics, petrophysics, RQ and mineralogy
· Case Studies & Exercises: the Triassic of the Carnarvon Basin and the Ordovician of the Canning Basin
Attendance at this course will include the August lunchtime technical meeting: “The Birkhead Formation: a joint chemostratigraphy-biostratigraphy case study”.
PESA Members (working): $250
PESA Members (retired/non-working): $150
Student PESA Members: $90